I think when you're a maker you are generally born that way, though I'm not sure of that, but I know I was. I seldom have idle hands.
As my career of Bead designer/teacher winds down with only minimal engagements planned I have more time for making.
I thought it would be fun to use this space to begin to document those makes. In a bit I shall change up the look and then start to photo my things as I make them.
Currently there is one sweater on the needles and a vest planned for Mark, followed by a second sweater for me.
This is the sleeve fair isle that I am adding to the Amy Herzog enrobed sweater which is a wrap around. One sleeve to go and then assembly. I worked hard on gauge and measurements to end up with a sweater that fits, at least that's the plan!
I've begun a journey in sewing art to wear clothing starting with embellishing an existing jacket and sewing my first Tina Givens gypsy jacket. That led to the knowledge that a serger would be a good tool and I am in love with what I can do with the serger.
Here is my embellished jacket. The panels are cut from a fabric that I got at south park dry goods from Judi Patuti. It's called Frieda. I took a class with Marty Ornish which resulted in this up cycled jacket. The original jacket was from Lee Andersen and I wore it often but it seems like a good place to start. I added batting beneath the fabric panels and did some machine outlining and some beading on each of the panels. Then I arranged them on the jacket and stitched them on.
Then I cut my very first Tina Givens pattern called Gypsy. I added some Ray Harris silk to the bottom and a tulle skirt, then added some lace to the bottom of each sleeve. It's artistic enough but my lack of sewing knowledge shows a lot!
Determined to do a better job with my next project I took my time, watched some videos and used my new serger! The result is much nicer but I didn't measure the sleeves and they turned out too tight. I added a gusset and it's wearable and I love it, but next time I would adjust the pattern first. There is a lot to learn to sew clothes that fit and look nice. This is Tina Givens Peplone coat. I used the inverse of the fabric to make the pocket and cuffs. I'm sure there will be more failures along the way, but I am determined to learn. This is a home dec fabric that I purchased from our local UFO upholstery supplier. It was on sale and so I worried less about wasting a good fabric. In the end I'm happy enough with it. You can also see my new button pendant.
Now I'm busy with a ruffled cotton skirt for a grand daughter, photos in the next 'Makers' post. Straight seams, a few ruffles and an all around easier sew!
I also went on an earring binge last week so as soon as I photo those, I'll share.