Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Beads in Motion

It appears that Marcia DeCoster's Beads in Motion is ready to launch.  It's always somewhat of an iffy date and since Amazon had reported shipment beginning August 6th that is what I thought might be true  But as far as I can tell and reported by Creative Castle, books from the warehouse have begun shipping.  And so it appears that a store near you may be in possession of Beads in Motion shortly.

Tonight in preparation for Friday nights book signing I put together the majority of pieces that are featured in the book.  In hindsight I can say that designing with a theme both informs the pieces and provides some challenges.  Each piece had to show a degree of movement, some as simple as swinging fringe, some sliding and some spinning.  The pieces in the gallery all have a degree of movement as well.

It's a body of work that I'm proud of.  The colors are subdued, even neutral to some degree but that doesn't mean you won't be bringing your own color sense to the designs.

I'll leave you with a few images that I hope you'll find inspiring.  Please do ask me if you have a question about materials.  I will be posting a list of sources as I get time but if you have a question I'll do my best to provide an answer.

Swing Dance a favorite pair of earrings to wear!


Spin City Necklace - I've always been a big fan of Lilly Pilly Designs and I've used two beautiful ones in the book.


 Here is the Peanut slider with fun beaded beads sliding along a length of right angle weave peanuts.


Riveted was the result of trying to stack a number of components and hold them together.  Wondering how the metal girls would do that I came up with the idea of a rivet, and not being a metal girl I made a seed bead rivet.  The clasp echoes that same metal design and is a book favorite for me.



Here is Victorian Slide bracelet which was one of my first forays into multiple row cubic right angle weave.  It's closed with an elegant Ezel finding and the sliders are capped with a Tierra Cast Metal bead which is my nod to combining seeds and metals.

There is more of course and the majority of them will be available to see this weekend  July 12th at Creative Castle in Newbury Park California and again at the Beading Bar in San Diego on August 10th at 2:00.  I suspect I'll bring them along to Fusion beads on August 16th as well.  So perhaps I'll see you at one of those venues!

10 comments:

Rita said...

So many wonderful looking projects. Can't wait to get the book!

Valentina Donatiello said...

WoW! Very nice! Compliments

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

I am especially super fond of Spin City Necklace! But everything looks wonderful. Time to go order this book!

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maryanne said...

I've been so looking forward to this book coming out, Marcia! I love motion in jewelry and so I was so excited to see this book. Those earrings will be my first project! I love them! And the idea of a seed bead rivet is so intriguing! Can't wait!

AbsoluteSkin said...

Absolutely Beautiful Work! Congratulations on the Book and all of your hard work will be there for the world to see!

just me said...

congratulations ....

just me said...

congratulations....

Helen said...

Truly a beautiful body of work Marcia. Congratulations.

ellen said...

Hi Marcia,
I just got my copy of Beads in Motion today. Thank you for another inspiring beading book classic!