Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Turkish loops crochet

and other random thoughts....

A few months back at a San Diego Bead Society meeting, Sylvia Sur was showing her vast body of work using bead crochet. One technique in particular caught my eye. Syliva graciously offered to come to my home and share her knowledge with me. Not one to turn down a learning opportunity I accepted and we picked yesterday.

Sylvia arrived with a number of pre-strung options and samples, a suitcase of different thread options, a padded crochet hook and a set of instructions. I do know how to crochet and I have even done bead crochet, but this one was a bit different and its was good to have her guidance as she showed me how to pick up the loops, change to new thread and start. I strung on some fire polish and some seed beads and started. I'm kind of all thumbs learning to hold the strung beads, and to turn the tiny hook just right so as not to drop the loop, and maintain a good tension. Sound familiar. It's good to be reminded occasionally how things feel to someone who is learning. I love the result, I'm just not sure my hands will be happy about the new motion. I remember from my last try that there is something about the manipulation of the hook that hurts my thumb joint. I'll have to see if it is temporary and make decisions accordingly. But for now, I have this pretty bit of Turkish loop crochet.



Next up on the random list is the pretty cathedral bead. I first bought them in Brooklyn a few years back and decided I needed more. This was a wholesale purchase and more then I need, but I love the finish on them so much. There was an aqua one too which I may have to break down and buy.....I think I need to design something that uses them!



And continuing on random, we noticed two birds checking out the hanging succulent garden for a possible nest location. Since we didn't think the corner of the veranda would be a good longterm home for them, we decided to move it before any real nesting had begun. They came back, clearly confused, and were having a big old conversation on the railing. She was obviously unhappy and I'm quite sure she was berating him for having fallen down on the job of look out. I retrieved my camera in the hopes of capturing their antics, but I was too late...so instead I pointed at a few of my favorite areas of our outdoor space. A succulent in bloom

and the glorious windmill palms which rattle in the breeze. They add so much personality to the space.


Well I've struggled a bit with focus this week and I need a good session with the calendar to get me back on a schedule that will result with an on time delivery of my next book. Today I need to finish up my Bead and Button directions and clear some of the other minor tasks out of the way so I can get into a really dedicated frame of mind.

6 comments:

Maryanne said...

I was interested to hear that your thumb joint hurts when you do bead crochet. I love bead crochet and I love doing it but my thumb joint doesn't. It keeps me from doing more of it and someone told me the padded hooks are better in a case like that. I'm having a hard time finding the padded hooks in the right sizes though.

Helen said...

I really like what you've done with the Turkish loops...great colours. I'm not a fan of wire crochet, but this looks great. I can sympathize with the sore thumb joint.

Marcia DeCoster said...

it's not wire Helen, it's thread

Helen said...

I guess I didn't express myself very well. What I meant to say is that I like it because it is thread, not wire. LOL, I guess I got my "mords wixed".

donna said...

I have thumb joint problems but have found that a splint can help with relieving pain and keeping the joint in an neutral position while beading, crocheting, writing and key-wacking on the computer. They range in price from $15 to $70 and can be gotten from a physical therapy place or through an orthopedic doctor. Mien has worked wonders for me and I am on the third one.
I love the Turkish crochet. The colors and weight of the piece are beautiful. Looks like a bracelet already!

Marcia DeCoster said...

Thanks Donna, I have the drug store kind, but it cuts off my circulation and makes my thumb go numb....guess I need to get a real one.