Monday, December 17, 2012

Thirty minute earrings

I know because I timed them.  Admittedly I've had practice, since I've now made in the vicinity of fifteen pair.  Almost all are destined for gifting, which of course is a lovely thing to do, but I find I want a pair of almost every one myself.....so getting them down to thirty minutes is great.

I posted this version a few days ago here.

And since then, I've discovered the combination of 3 mm Swarovski pearls works really well with the Swarovski element crystals and I also love the 3 mm Tierra Cast metal beads which add some heft to them.



And on top of that I've added chain, so they swing delicately from your earlobe.  Having a stash of 3mm crystals and pearls really helps the design process.  I love it when you can play with color in such a small place, with totally different results.

Each new pair is my new favorite, so I am currently loving the muted platinum pearl with light gold metallic crystal and purple haze drops.

But the pair on the right have burgundy ab2x crystals with Tierra cast metal beads and some 2 mm gold aurum crystal as the embellishment bead.

You need to know cubic right angle weave, but this is a great project for learning it.  So have some fun with it, and if you do, send pictures.  I'd love to see your color combinations!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You know that I am going to have to give these a go! They are adorable and I have new beads to play with :)))

Marcia DeCoster said...

oooh I hope so, I want to see and there are only so many pair I can make myself!

Karen Firnberg said...

I have some 3mm crystals left over from Fanfare. I think I'll try to whip some of these up for Christmas presents.

susanc said...

They are beautiful Marcia! Is this a pattern that is available? Thanks and have a great day!

Linda Lou said...

I echo Susanc, is this an available pattern/tutorial? They are perfect. Thanks

Bizzy B said...

I pulled out my 3mm crystals after your first post. These are for sure on my list. Thanks for showing all the color ideas.

Denise said...

gorgeous is there a pattern for these beautiful earrings. Is there a purchase for these. please let me know @ Blueknitterrising@facebook.com thank you

Las Creaciones de Boricua said...

Oh!!!!!!! how pretty!!!!!!!!

Marcia DeCoster said...

Linda and Susan, I didn't write a tutorial, but they are super simple, you just need to know CRAW....and there just happens to be a really good video on the subject, google cubic right angle weave and you will find a vide by Heather Collin. It is really clear and then you can practice with the pearls and crystals. 3 mm size on each, 3 cubes. Put the result on a headpin with some accent beads, push through the cubic raw strip, wire wrap and add an ear wire. You can do it!

Peikkonen said...

I love the pair with pearls, the drops create a perfect balance, and the pearls give lovely subtlety.

Linda Lou said...

Thank you for the google tip - right up my alley. I'm off to take a look!