Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Could it be a color rut?

It happens, I get enamored with a certain bead or combination of beads and all of a sudden it shows up in multiple projects, and usually without intent. I wish I could say that it was planned, but I think it's rather subliminal. I don't even always realize I am gravitating to the same palette until I take photos and it becomes obvious to me.

I think at the moment, deep raspberry, fuchsia and dorado are making an appearance.

I showed you En Pointe bracelet yesterday but this is a better shot (I hate it when I'm lazy on the photos)

Here is Lilliana (a name I've always loved, and a person dear to me) which I will be teaching at Bead and Button next year. I think it's really graceful, and it's cubic raw so it has a lot to offer in upping one's right angle weave skills

And here is the Dream Keeper Vessel Ring in new colors. I could make this ring day after day and not get tired of it. It's doable in a reasonably short period of time (5 hours, that's short right?) and it such a good opportunity to play with color, and placing a dream inside, you have to love that and it's a great gift. I just sent off one of these to Beads by Blanche where I will teach it in November and the other is destined for City Beads where I will teach it in December.




It may be a color rut, but I don't think I'm ready to stop exploring it yet. Do you have a set of go to colors? Are you color challenged? Do your colors change with your mood or with the seasons? Inquiring minds want to know.

9 comments:

AJ said...

Well, the benefit of being in a color rut is that you end up with a lot of jewelry that goes well together :)

I almost always gravitate towards olivine and bronze when I can't come up with a different combination. And I find that I use a disproportionate amount of aqua in the stuff that I make to sell.

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Don't think of it as a rut, Marcia...you are exploring a color palette. Fashion designers do it ALL THE TIME and no one accuses them of being in a rut. Heck, Picasso had a Blue Period.

Unknown said...

I definitely gravitate to blue & silver or the all around favorite black & white (Cause it goes with everything!)

I sometimes branch out but especially if it's a new project I tend to use my comfort colors, maybe because I love them so much in real life!

Paola said...

what a wonderful beadworks!

cw whitedogjewelry said...

Your work is outstanding, no matter the color choice, but I happen to love the colors you work with. 'love the new designs.

Karyn said...

Ohhhh my Lilliana is absolutely gorgeous. I hope this will be in your next book as I'd love to give this one a try and I am too far away to attend a class with you!

Karyn
Australia

LUCY said...

Un juego extraordinariamente elegante y hermoso.....

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! I have no color skills what so ever! I love the bright vibrant bead colors, and I buy them, but rarely use them because I don't know how! My Mother's style, which I suppose rubbed off on me, was a Jackie-O kind of conservative. Elegant, simple, with a surprise pop of color sometimes. It's hard to work out side your comfort zone!!!

LoriF said...

I'm a turquoise and olivine kind of girl; but lately turq and purple has been calling. We'll see if they succeed in taking me over to the purple side. :-)
But I love AJ's comment about a lot of jewelry that works together! LOL