Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Studio revamp again?!

Why do I wait until I don't think I can be any busier and then decide it is once again time for change? Well I'm not sure, but that is exactly what I'm doing. I decided today that the outer beadroom which houses a messy closet, the shipping department, a table and chairs, could be put to much better use.

I decided the table needs to go and I need storage units with closed doors. Off to IKEA with measurements in hand, I got several white boxes to at least unify the mess in the closet and 3 storage units with doors and shelves, working height so I can still use the tops to prep shipments, and 16 inches deep so I can still fit long narrow folding tables in the event I hold a class here.

I think it will open up the space nicely and reduce the clutter that collects on the table top. Well at least the clutter will be kept to a smaller space. Next I would like to hang 4 of the slick white magnet boards above the new cabinets for capturing inspiration, or maybe some shadow boxes of finished work, that might be fun.

Photos when all is complete.....but don't hold me to a schedule, the boxes need to be screwed together! Nine screws apiece, and the storage units, well most of us know how IKEA assembly goes.....

In the meantime Mark is kitting Ringlet kits in retro and orange pink lime. I'm taking the first batch with me to Portland. What is left will go to Europe and after that back onto the website. Which by the way, the store will be closing while we are in Europe, re-opening with some new inventory when we return.

I'll be back when I finish screwing 13 boxes together, nine screws each, I am not going to do the math, that would be depressing.

4 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

I hope you are at least using a power screwdriver or drill. That would only be about ten seconds per screw.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcia,
We're going through the same stage !
Last week-end I suddenly decided I couldn't live with my messy garage anymore, I have boxes i haven't opened since we moved in 6 years ago, so I thought Icould live without them, off to Ikea on Friday night, lots of DIY work and cleaning/sorting/recycling, but on Sunday night, it was almost finished, i'll put the final touch this Saturday :o)Ahhh what a relief it will be !
Next step : turning the small office into a beading room !
Enjoy your new space,
Kind regards
Ingrid

Jean Campbell said...

I find it a miracle that your bead studio could be any prettier or more organized, but if anyone can do it, it's you, my friend! Can't wait to see the photos...

Shel said...

I don't know - I just saw your studio interview w/Lori over at Studio Waterstone - it looks amazing to me....but can't wait to see what you do next!