Sunday, June 14, 2009

Loving my home

My husband had the eye for this house, I did not really see it's beauty through it's flaws the way that he did. It's an art deco home built in 1940 and when we first saw it, it required a lot of work, not something I had thought he was up for.




Not that he wasn't capable, the man can do most anything, I just thought he had passed the stage of wanting to. Not so. For a man who needs a spreadsheet to examine most any purchase, he decided on this house really quickly.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, his grandfather had built an art deco house in St. Paul and it was a childhood memory.


We've (I use the term We loosely here) taken popcorn off the ceiling, carpeted and painted my studio, fixed flaws in the walls, painted, tiled, remodeled the kitchen down to bare studs and soon we're going to start on a big landscape project.

Living room, love the black floors, but not keeping them clean...

dining room, one of my favorite spots the walls are painted Ralph Lauren's artist brown. It's a really intimate room and French doors lead to the verandah, where the landscaping will begin.






A shot of the studio, beautiful natural light






I'm very at home here, I love this house and I am so glad he saw the potential. Time to go bead!

9 comments:

Katie said...

What a lucky woman you are! Not only did he see the beauty through the mess, but he finished the projects, too :o)

Marcia DeCoster said...

Yep, he's really good like that, Friday I mentioned that 'we' should paint the door to the kitchen, ten minutes later, paint can in hand he was getting it done. I could take a lesson, no time like the present....

abeadlady said...

You have truly got a couple of treasures there: a beautiful home and a talented hubby.

Rosanne said...

With all that beauty that surrounds you, how can you leave it as often as you do?
It's great to have a man that has a vision and can carry it through.
Geary's pretty handy at that too, and he jumps right into projects and finishes them. I have to be careful what I agree to, sometimes he tell's me he's thinking about doing something and I say Ok...he's on it the next day and I'm left with my mouth hanging open..lol!

Bead-Mused said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Marcia. And I know how much work was involved in getting rid of the popcorn ceiling. T-man has only done one room so far and he HATED it but he'll do the res for me if I ask. You're a lucky woman! Give him a kiss!!

GreenGemini said...

What a beautiful home! And a wonderful hubby!

flyingbeader said...

What a lovely studio. I would kill for one with natural light. You are very very lucky & the rest of the house is just fabulous. Chris built our studio in the basement. This is a man who'd never wield a hammer in his life. He got books from the library, made many trips to Lowes & converted out ugly MidWestern concrete basement into a warm workshop for the both of us. BUT A WINDOW! I'd love a window!

dot

Arlenesfelt said...

I like how Maya is not the only one in the second picture!

Shirley Lim said...

Lucky lady, your house is beautiful !
I never like black flooring because it's super difficult to keep it clean ...