Friday, November 30, 2012

Bead and Button Master Class

Since Marlene first invited me to the seed bead master class teacher for the Bead and Button show, I knew exactly how I wanted to approach it.

You see I love the excitement of design, the moments when you have completed some fanciful bit of beadwork and then the journey to see it come together into beautiful jewelry.  I'm a jewelry kind of girl, in fact that is what started my quest to learn beadwork.

I've been creating and teaching beadwork for about twenty years now and in that time I have learned a lot about the process, or my process at least.

For me, it all starts with that first thread path, with coaxing the beads into a pleasing shape, and then looking at ways the shape might be changed.  Could I fold it, make it larger, stack them, connect them at their ends, their sides?  Once I've got a few made then the arranging begins, and more often then not it varies from my original concept.  Bracelets become pendants, or chokers, or earrings or rings, or some of each.

I love using a repeatable thread path, and seeing how far it will take me.  The romantic medallion started life as the connector between the Victoria fans



and then a triangular shape became La Boquita



Six sided around a bead became a beaded bead used in Earth Sky Water













and finally Romantica











All one thread path, different beads, different counts, very different projects!

This is the design process I am excited about sharing, and there will be five different components AND a playground of those components that you will use in class to arrange your own design visions.  All directions will be provided and together we will develop a huge number of design options.  We will also capture your visions digitally so that you may take home with you the wide number of possibilities you discover.

And you will begin and maybe complete the project for one or more of your visions.  It is easy to envision a beautiful pendant, or chunky bangle, or a stunning choker, or lariat or....well you get the idea, unlimited possibility.

You may gather I'm excited, I find the collaborative process thrilling and can't wait for this class to begin. Oh and the good news, Swarovski Elements will be sponsoring the kits, so I've lowered the price accordingly!  Three beautiful palettes will be available with 2 colors and 3 sizes each of crystals, crystal pearls, and coordinating seed beads in size 15, 11 and 8's.

Oh, I got carried away....the details, June 2-4 2013 at the Bead and Button Show in Milwaukee.  You must apply by December 21st and a lottery will determine participants on December 27th. Interested, want to know more?  Use this form to send me an email and I'd be happy to discuss the class with you.

Update: the first master class is sold out, but a second has been added for June 5th, 6th and 7th!

2 comments:

Lori Anderson said...

You are such an idol of mine for many reasons -- and this post shows one of them. Your talent is amazing, and I'm so impressed with the art of seed beads. Over the holiday, I've vowed to tackle my first beaded bezel!

Shirley Lim said...

so beautiful!