Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chrysolite ab2x

So far at least I don't think I have found an ab2x crystal that I don't like, and chrysolite opal is one that I love. I'm having to focus on illustration at the moment, yesterday finishing up myTucson timeless elegance bracelet class, so this project is one ellipse away from coming together....



Perhaps this evening I will get to see it come into the form I am imagining. Jamie used this chrysolite ab2x combination with dorado and bronze for her dream keeper vessel ring, but I forgot the opal part and ordered plain chrysolite. It's still darn pretty though. These are reversible with the other side being a luscious frosted aqua seed bead you can see peeking out the bottom, and that pinky gold metallic seed bead I love so much.

For the record, I used one G instead of fire line and I'm ok with it. I don't know if there is the perfect thread....There was a day I loved silamide and I may try that on for size again. Nymo is the one thread I just can't work with. I seem to fray and shred it somewhere in the first few stitches. Yes, yes I have the cones, but sticking to black and white is more challenging when RAW is your go to stitch and the thread is more showy then in peyote or brick or ladder or most other stitches.

What's your current thread of choice, and if you're inclined what are it's best characteristics?

I'm off to the LA gift show with friends tomorrow. I've never been and there isn't anything I need, and I'll be in Tucson in two weeks, but it is an opportunity to spend the day laughing and getting out and about and off the computer. My neck will thank me. Saturday is forecasted to be raining which will be the perfect weather for indoor focus when I will return to book illustration. There is one waiting for me that I predict is going to be challenging. Sometimes the biggest challenge is trying to show the process simply .....I hope that seems obvious to me when I sit down to do it.

11 comments:

Gabri said...

Those colors look like the Caribbean sea...a very good thing to think of when indoors because of the freezing cold.

Marcia DeCoster said...

glad I could help!

Nancy said...

I'm using One G also...but have to say I can shred anything! Even fireline. :) I do like the range of colors with the one G

Cindy said...

Gorgeous color combo... The chrysolite ab2x crystals seem to glow next to the bronze seed beads.

I've been using One G for a couple of months now, and I definitely prefer it to Nymo. I still use Fireline for crystals, but even that snaps if I need to exit the crystal at a funny angle. Wildfire seems to work better for me in those cases, but I wouldn't use it for lots of passes through a 15° seed bead. I guess there isn't one perfect thread...

Tia Dalma said...

I am a huge fan of Swarovski's Opal colors! And anything with Bronze is my favorite...I'm loving the color palette!

I have been using One G and KO thread almost exclusively for about a year now and I love them both!

One G is a little thinner and has a little more texture than KO, so they are good for different projects. And they are both miles ahead of Nymo (even the cones)

I do still use Fireline, and love it, for some things...but I find myself purchasing One G most often these days. I want to see cones of One G and KO thread!

I have also been testing One G with crystals (but no funny angles) and so far I have had good results...but these are all test pieces to see how long they actually last!

And for the die hard Nymo fans, FMG carries the 3oz cones of Nymo B & D in about 12 colors...

beadologist said...

I've been using One G almost exclusively for the past several years. I have yet to fray it. I too, am Nymo challenged. When I'm really pouring on the crystals, though, I've been using WildFire .006.
By the way, One G is now available in a larger size spool- 250 yards. Amen!

kate mckinnon said...

My favorite thread is Nymo B and D, on the cone, in deep sable brown, brick red, teal, and ocean blue. I never EVER use white thread of any kind, and I rarely use black when I can use sable brown instead.

Ingrid said...

Hi Marcia, great colours!
Reg. thread, when I started beading, I was using C-Lon with my peyote stitch. A few months later, in your book, I read about braided beading thread ?!? i didn't know what it was and I googled it right away and since then, i use Fireline, for almost everything, even flat peyote.
Ok, got to go, order right away these irresistible bicones !
Kind regards,
Ingrid

Mari said...

Marcia eso parace el comienzo de un preciosidad!!

Jamie Lubin said...

Hey Marcia!
Still getting used to you mentioning me on your blog...I'm tickled! Guess that one day I'm going to have to make YOU one of those beautiful rings in my colors so that you don't have to worry about a picture! So, Blanche is out of our favorite crystal and I can't find anyone that has them...any ideas? So glad that you are out and about and having fun. They predict snow tomorrow....perfect for beading!

LoriF said...

I use Fireline for the most part, C-Lon for peyote without crystals because of the color range. The tangling-to-itself of the Fireline annoys the heck out of me even with beeswax, but I agree....there's no one perfect thread that I've found yet.
Love the chrysolite! Will have to see where I can find THAT now LOL....Bluemud?