Monday, May 10, 2010

I don't like beets!

Really I don't and I know I don't, but.....I keep trying. The allure of these golden beets at Little Italy's Farmers market made me decide to reconsider.


Something about the color and the freshness and the beauty of how they looked.


I tossed them with spring greens, goat cheese, candied pecans and a wonderful olive oil. And you know what? They weren't half bad, in fact I sorta liked them.


I continue to get ready for Bead and Button, preparing samples and kits, but I did take time out yesterday for a lovely stroll through Balboa park with my daughter and her boyfriend. It was the perfect day for that. The local art glass guild had a show in Spanish Village, trees were in bloom, street performers were entertaining crowds, couples were strolling hand in hand. It was the perfect interlude to my busy schedule.

6 comments:

Andrew Thornton said...

The salad sounds good! We used to serve one in the restaurant that was similar. My grandma and a couple of people here make beets called, "Red Hots" and they're good. I'll try to track down the recipe or even bring some to Bead and Button for you to try and see if you like.

Karyn said...

Ok I don't like beets but I do love Balboa Park assuming that is the one in San Diego?

I visited there back in 1990 and the buildings were stunning. I must find the photo I took and put it on my blog.

Karyn
Australia

Unknown said...

You can juice beets with carrot and apple for a belly warming sweet juice that will get you moving! Even my kids love it, but a warning- you will feel the heat in your tummy-not heartburn but the feel like you just did some situps warm- I guess you call it invigorating.

Mari said...

I am hoping that one of the Crystal Medallion Bracelet becomes available for purchase at your site for people like me, who live far away and find it impossible to assist to one of your workshops but are still your number one fans.

Jean Hutter said...

Well I do love the beet photo

Valerie said...

Well, Marcia, as you know, I do LOVE beets, and I prefer the deep red beets. The orange beets have a quieter flavor, so those are probably a better choice for you. Just so you know, beets are a fantastic cancer fighting food...