Monday, May 24, 2010

Waffles

Ok, totally unrelated to beading, but I never promised all beads all the time, sometimes you get my regular life.

When we lived in Holland, Mark became a connoisseur of the Belgium waffle, tasting one or sometimes more in every city.

And when we came home he researched several recipes and the experimenting began. Now he never did perfect the dense chewy waffle with the big sugar crystals that are common in Holland and Belgium, he did however perfect the cooked, light fluffy, big squares waffle, the breakfast kind.

Table setting and condiments are my job...



This recipe requires yeast, something that I fail at, so I stay away. There is a lot of preparation for these waffles. The mixing begins a couple of hours before meal time and the batter rises in a bath of warm water, draped with a dish towel.

For condiments there are several.... Fresh strawberries and blueberries mixed with a little cointreau, lemon and powdered sugar, nutella and of course good old fashioned American butter and syrup.



Add a pictcher of Mimosa's and good company and it was a delightful Sunday. I blame the Mimosas for not getting a picture of the actual waffles!

Now back to the beads.....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Now you've gone and made me hungry ;)

kate mckinnon said...

MmmmMark's WAFFLES!!!!

Susan Wells said...

Aw, now you've made me envious. I am the Biggest Fan of Mr. Mark's waffles. Perhaps I need to sample them again? Embarrassingly enough, I do recall being served these incredible treats and asking you if there were seconds. Only because if there weren't, I would eat very very slowly and savor every bite (as I should anyway!).

Marcia DeCoster said...

Kate, we skipped the whipped cream on account of your absence, we had nutella instead.