Thankful for my making history that I keep here. I was able to go back and find the last time I repaired this blanket for now six year old Layla. You can read the history here.
The blanket was made with a bulky cotton yarn whose name I don't remember and was made from the pattern Baby Chalice blanket. One of my favorite to make.
Daughter Lucia reached out in October letting me know that once again the fibers were at risk of totally disintegrating and what might I be able to do. I posted on facebook and called out for advice from all my lovely knitting friends. Whatever solution there would be would need to be quick as Layla loves sleeping with her blanket and misses her night time routine without it.
As it was UPS became a big delay, arriving 5 days after being mailed, so time was of the essence.
I had one skein of yarn and I thought I might make some crocheted medallions to attach to the surface. I was able to make twelve but in the end I didn't love it as a solution. I did stitch one down to a corner and left it because it shows the original yarn and I decided it was a nice bit of history.
I carefully cutaway the frayed stitches which left a lot of white space between the lace but also revealed the underlying shape of the lace as it had been knit. (the previous repair entailed stitching the lace down to a white flannel backing)
Then I used a zig zag stitch to outline the edges and hopefully keep them from unraveling further.
I was inspired by the Japanese style of repairing broken pottery.
Kintsugi is the Japanese art of putting broken pottery pieces back together with gold — built on the idea that in embracing flaws and imperfections, you can create an even stronger, more beautiful piece of art.
I decided then to fill in the white spaces 'cracks' with love of all the people in her life.
I had a tula pink variegated thread and after adding all the names in pink I surrounded them with variegated hearts.