Monday, May 28, 2012

The biggest challenge

So far my biggest challenge has been to illustrate and write the instructions for cubic right angle weave. It turned out to be the perfect stitch for a bracelet band to support these little bejeweled sliding components.  I love the weight of it, and I love the act of stitching it.  It may be the ultimate in meditativeness, developing one cube at a time.  



But I can attest to the fact that illustrating it in two dimensions was no easy feat.  I hope that I did the job effectively enough to communicate it to those wanting to try their hand at it.  I may decide to do a video, we'll see, I haven't done that yet.  

In the meantime I will be one of several featured designers in the Toho booth at Bead and Button.  My time slot is Sunday June 10th I will there from ten to noon.  I've been invited to demo whatever I would like, and I'm thinking cubic raw.  It is one of those stitches which definitely benefits from being seen in person, so if you're curious and you're at the show, consider stopping by.

I'm fortunate that Mark made all of this years kits, and that Liz will be in the classroom to help and that I have lots of plans for seeing dear friends....but for right now, I have two more designs to finish for the book, before I can turn my full attention to Bead and Button preparedness.  

3 comments:

Robin Kay said...

Not that you should take instructions from another book, but I learned how to do cubic RAW from The Art of Beadwork by Valerie Hector, pages 91-93 in the section on/inspired by David Chatt. I thought the instructions were clear though they required quite a number of figure illustrations.

Marcia DeCoster said...

Thanks Robin, and I did have a look at that one, after having emailed David Chatt with some questions he pointed it out and I realized I had it all along. I have something like 16 illos to describe it....

Cindy said...

I'd love to stop by the Toho booth, but I'll be teaching at that time. Perhaps I could see you at a different time during the show?