Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A bit of nostalgia

Or just when I thought de-cluttering was in order, I found this!


and was very clear that it had to come home with me. I don't really know the attraction. Memories of simpler time, a connection to Mom who trained to be a secretary and was always proud of her typing, the warm color that works so well in my studio? I didn't really need something to take up more counter top space.....I put a few other trinkets away, cleared a space and set up my Smith Corona. It works, although I'm not sure how productive it would be. It has a case, a lock and key and the original ten day typing lesson book. How many of us learned to type on one of these?

Later today my guest leaves which will signal the beginning of frenetic illustration and direction writing period. I need to be 100% focused, maybe 120%....I'll visit you briefly in the morning, after which I will work all day every day until it's done. I'll build in the brief bits of time to recharge, sip tea on the veranda or FaceTime with a special baby, but other then that, I'll be right here in front of the computer! The deadline looms and I intend to be on time.

5 comments:

lady fire fury said...

you do know i wanted a turqouise vintage typewriter as my guest book at my wedding right? there ya go, theres the attraction ;)

Terry from Alaska said...

I learned to type on this typewriter in school.

Helen said...

What a find! .... and it looks to be in mint condition. I love the colour. Ahhhh, memories.........

Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
flyingbeader said...

I have no idea where mine is. I carried it all through college & I know it is somewhere in the basement. I can't tell you how many English papers I wrote on that thing.

hard to part with something that we shares such intimacies with right? I'm sure mine still has the marks on the side from where I sat a hot cup of coffee too close & it warped the plastic cover. All nighters ruled!