Sunday, November 13, 2011

When I don't bead I knit

Or I write directions or order supplies or make kits, in other words I am always pretty active. Today none of those held me attention and I found myself antsy and restless. Kind of a funny feeling, none of my supplies moved me, none of my designs called out to be beaded.....

And then I took a look back, I finished two beautiful book pieces this week, got 11 new colorways in the store, shipped a big bunch of kits and maybe just sitting with a book or staring at the beautiful sky was enough.

Do you do that? I have always had a tendency in my life to look at what is in front of me and forget the accomplishments that I've piled up.

The piece I just finished is so lovely, the palette so soft and romantic and sparkling. I want to love every piece I create this much. No angst was had, the piece flowed, the colors worked, the beading was easy and the result spectacular. Every day should be so good.

I'm going to lean into this afternoon of doing nothing, see what it holds, revel in the quietness and see how it feels. At least I'm going to try.....

I think part of the issue is that I have enough active projects that launching into something new would be just plain silly, but sometimes that is where the excitement lies. I'd love to cast on a pair of Mrs. Beetons wristwarmers with the charcoal grey mohair studded with jet swarovski's yarn that I have. Or the lace shawlette interspersed with beads, but it really isn't practical. Many of the current projects have deadlines and I only have this one afternoon before I must get ready to travel. Learning the art of doing nothing is something I need to cultivate a bit more. I'll let you know how I do.

3 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

I just boxed up some luscious cashmere yarn to distract you in the future! Enjoy your lovely feelings. Each moment of life is for the living.

Marcia DeCoster said...

Thanks Kate, I know it will be lovely and I will think about what beautiful thing to knit with it. Did you get your indigo? Do you need a pattern, or do you have a plan?

Helen said...

Marcia, I think maybe doing nothing provided the opportunity for reflection .... and the realization of just how much you actually did accomplish.
Enjoy - revel in the moment!