Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sunsets to bead by.....

Since yesterdays post started with the sunrise I thought I'd start todays with a stellar sunset. I've never lived in a house until now where I was able to enjoy both a sunrise and sunset from the comfort of indoors. It is really quite a good feature of this house! Enjoyed from my studio.....



Apparently there will be several more of these this week as we experience pretty low daytime clouds and that perfect 70 degree temperature.

And speaking of beading, I've been giving Beadalon's new wildfire a second try and liking it. I received a sample at last years Bead and Button, but was not enamored with the really black color. Since that time Greg Hanson, in the interest of spreading the word on a thread he liked, sent me a dusty green color and in Tucson I sampled a frost color so decided a second chance was in order. And I'm liking it. It has a smooth untangly feel that glides through the beadweaving similar to silamide but with more strength and easier to thread. It knots well and with the two current colors I can accomplish many of my pallettes. Best part, no black residue to wipe off and no dirty hands. I did meet the Beadalon folks in Tucson this year and requested a smoke color to use instead of the black. They were giving it consideration and I hope that we will have a smoke color in the future. My recommendation, give it a try, I like it!

And have a look at Greg's site, he does beautiful lampwork and he beads! Perhaps Marcie had some influence there? Marcie was one of my first beading idols. At the time I lived in Northern California but my job required frequent trips to the Tijuana factory. I always arranged these trips so that time was left for a trip to the Shepherdess. I was enamored with Marcie's freeform peyote and beautiful scultpural work.

Another playdate with knitting, a girl needs some balance. I'm working on Satine from French Girl Knits. If you are a knitter this is a beautiful book to own. Lot's of floaty romantic wear.

Yesterday my daughter Casey came to help kit and we finished up things for the cruise, so I can relax a tiny bit.

Marcia

2 comments:

Katie said...

Love the sunset...It reminds me of one of the sunsets in Gone With the WInd (just saw it this weekend, so maybe that's why???)...I'm not sure if I am a fan of Wildfire...I got some in Oct/Nov, and I just wasn't that thrilled with it...But, since I have a spool of it, I will definitely give it another shot...Who knows? Maybe I need to try it with a different project? Sometimes that makes all the difference...

Guess I should leave the computer alone tomorrow so I can get to work on my Bead Cruise stuff...So much to do, and so little time (because I am REALLY good at procrastinating...)...

See you this weekend!

The bad Liz said...

I tried Wildfire when I received a spool at B&B last year, and I like it. It has a good heft and feel when I am working with it. I haven't found a bead store in my area that carries it at this time, although I keep asking.....