Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Couch Knitting

Also known as plane knitting, tv knitting, group knitting, in other words mindless knitting. The kind of project you can pick up at any time, always knowing exactly where you are in the pattern, and knit a few rows. It's what I need right now. I have some more baby knitting on the needles, but I really wanted to make a garment for myself that didn't involve the counting of the lace I love so well, but would end up something I could wear.

Last night's visit to the Grove for the Schaefer yarn event provided just what I needed.


A Lisa Limber designed Shrugigan. I might have bypassed the sample had another customer not encouraged me to try it on. It is darn cute and this is only one of the ways to wear it. The long rectangle can also button at both ends creating 'sleeves' and a shawl that stays put. I think it will be perfect for my upcoming European travel so I hope to finish it by then. Schaefer has a beautiful line of handpainted yarns. Nancy that I picked has a nice thick thin boucle feel to it.

Being the impulsive girl I can sometimes be I wound up the yarn and cast it on this morning. A few minutes of veranda knitting before I begin the multitude of other things which need doing before I leave for next week's Alaskan cruise.

6 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

I want to knit that! It is a perfect project to break me in on, isn't it? Gorgeous!!!!

Marcia DeCoster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcia DeCoster said...

yes, perfect for learning. You need a 1.5 circular needle 24 inches long and some bulky yarn, preferably thick think boucle type with a stitch count of 3 1/2 stitches to the inch on a size 10.5 needle. Let me know when you're ready we could skype!

kate mckinnon said...

Awesome! The Bead Place, a bead shop in freakin' Illinois, has a lot of knitting supplies, and I suspect I could get the correct needle and yarn there. They have their own carding and winding facilities, they are Serious. I will absolutely Skype you!

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

It's funny, I was just thinking the same thing the other day - even though it has been years since I knitted anything!

Helen said...

Hopefully you will share pics of your finished shrugigan...such a clever design.