Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The photo I missed

A visit to the Bead Society of San Diego website yielded this photo of Jean in her steampunk inspired getup. Jean can rock any look!



I've been involved with the Bead Society since I arrived in San Diego in 2004. In those days I had slightly more time, having just left my corporate job and not yet deciding on the life of a traveling bead artist. But I still try to get to a meeting whenever I am in town and have made it to three this year. The member artist presentation every month is a highlight, showcasing the talents and history of the BSSDC members. There is a lot of talent there.

Each month a different program is presented through a wide range of mediums including polymer, beadweaving, metalsmithing, wire, lapidary and more. Often the guest artist will also present a class on the day following the meeting which is always the third saturday of the month with the exception of July and December.

Bead Societies are a valuable resource and expose us to a wide range of artists and techniques. The Bead Society of San Diego also has the good fortune of meeting in the Mingei International Museum. The Mingei recently accepted the collection from the Glendale Bead Museum in Phoenix Arizona. It will be a treat when it is once again ready to be viewed.

Do you have a favorite Bead Society?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How ironic! I went to gradschool in Glendale, AZ, but didn't bead back then and certainly didn't know there was a bead museum.

Here in The Netherlands I don't know of any bead societies. I will be moving to Spain though in 10 weeks and I am thinking of finding out if there is one in the Malaga area I can join. If anyone has any suggestions please shoot me an email.

-Pepita

abeadlady said...

Loved the pic of Jean! Isn't she the greatest?

As President of the Central California Bead Society, I may be a little prejudiced, but I think we provide a little bit for everyone. Our members range from Bakersfield to Modesto, and Monterey to the high Sierras. We have some incredibly talented beaders and provide classes every month. Our annual Bead Show is September 18th in Fresno.