Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Best Belgium waffles

Ever since living in Holland Mark has been on a quest to duplicate his favorite dense sugary Belgium waffle. Today he succeeded! The key turned out to be an ingredient called Pearl Sugar.

We're planning a trip to Holland in October and in celebration and due to the arrival of the necessary mail-ordered Pearl sugar, today we had waffles.

He's been experimenting with waffle recipes for the last several years, and has gotten quite good, but until today perfection escaped him. You can find today's Liege Belgium waffle recipe here.

I thought it fitting to use my D&E Dutch coffee cup and bring out the Nutella.




Eating one of these is really all that is possible, so we should have had company....





Now you'll have to excuse me, I think I need some exercise!

7 comments:

Bizzy B said...

Someone else who likes liege waffles! I made some last weekend, but ended up throwing away my waffle iron after the first batch which was much as I remembered with a crunchy, sugary crust. I couldn't find pearl sugar so used turbinado after reading it was close to pearl. I had to toss the appliance because when I reheated for the second batch, the sugar on the iron burnt black & when cooled turned to glass. There was no way I was going to get that black sugary, glass like stuff out of all those little spaces (& it was an old iron anyway). So, do I need to buy a new iron & try the correct sugar? Would you tell me what brand of iron you used because what I had read is that you really need to use a professional Belgium iron for close to $1000 to make the real thing & that's out of reach for me. I would love to try it again & will order the sugar if that's the key. Hoping there's waffles in my future. Thanks.

Marcia DeCoster said...

Hi BizzyB

The waffle iron we have is Villaware and it sure didn't cost $1,000 and yes the waffles were really good and authentic.

The secret is the pearl sugar which didn't even melt nevermind burn. I put the link in the post. It ended up we got Swedish pearl sugar. There is another site which had Dutch pearl sugar but it suggested that it would melt a bit more which based on your experience you wouldn't want.

So good luck with your next try!

Bizzy B said...

Thanks so much. I've saved the recipe & the King Arthur site. Also read the reviews about the sugar & I agree that I don't want the kind that melts. So, guess I'll now look for a new waffle iron. Your waffles look delicious.

kate mckinnon said...

THe only thing I am unclear on is why you say that the most a person could eat is one.

Judipatuti said...

Husband Richard was intrigued with Mark's new successful recipe - I expect he'll be trying them very soon! and I'll be eating them very soon! I agree Kate...one will only wet the appetite!

Ann said...

Wow! Thanks for the link. I have the belgium waffle iron from when we lived in Brussels (1971). You have to heat it on the stove. It makes good waffles, but not the kind you buy from the street vendors. I can't wait to try!

Ann
mycriticaleye.com

Pepita said...

Visiting Holland in october. How fun!