Monday, January 24, 2011

Continental Knitting

While in New York at the Vogue Knitting Live event I took 4 classes. I loved the Edge of Color with Kristin Nicholas where I learned all kinds of colorful border knitting including a mitered corner and a bobble bind off. Kristin is an enthusiastic teacher with lots of ideas to share. What I learned presents all kind of inspiration for baby knitting!

Next I took a continental knitting class. Among the many benefits, any change of routine is good for the aging brain. Together with the ability to change easily between knit and purl stitches and the different hand motion it seemed like a good thing to try.





This is 300 stitches of Alpaca for Marks striped vest. The 3 inches of ribbing seemed the perfect application to practice.

The class was expertly taught by Lesley Solomon, owner of Woolstock in Maryland. She had an infectious sense of humor and an excellent method of explaining the technique.

Oh and did you notice the beautiful hot pink Silhouette needles? Beautiful needles, beautiful yarn...this project is going to be a dream.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

SallyAnderson said...

Marcia, I taught myself Continental and never looked back! It's so much more efficient, faster & easier. You'll be a whiz at it before you know it. Just one sweater to get over the awkward feeling. Maybe less. Have fun!
SallyA

Dolphina said...

I want to get into fairisle and color work and I've been told it's the easiest way to go! You can hold the 2 colors in the 2 hands... apparently it works great!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Hi Marcia: Thanks for the note and also for the over the top sparkly stitch markers! I'm glad you enjoyed the class and loved NY in the snow. You were a delight to have in the class. Have a great time teaching in AZ.
My very best,
Kristin Nicholas