Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Traditions

Do you have some? Every year since Mark and I, Lucia, Casey and Brian became a family in 1984, we shopped for blown glass ornaments. Each one of us taking care to pick the best one, coming home, dating and initialing them and hanging them on the tree. There are many good memories of that time.

I find many memories are food related. My mother was an excellent cook and loved to entertain. Her peanut butter marshmallow fudge was an annual treat, made only at Christmas time. Daughter Casey is especially fond of it, and so I've picked up the tradition of 'Nanny's fudge'. It really is wonderful and totally easy, almost to the point of fool proof, although it helps immensely to have a candy thermometer to accurately measure the soft ball stage. And it does take some close attention for the ten or so minutes it is on the stove. It would be a very messy thing if it were to boil over the pot.

Nanny's Peanut Butter Fudge (international measures included!)

2 c. (400 g) sugar
2/3 c. (1 1/2 dL) milk ( I only had 1% on hand and it worked out fine)
1 c. (1/4 L) marshmallow cream
1 c. (1/4 L) peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla

Oil (I used soft butter) a jelly-roll pan or a 9 x 9 inch pan. Combine the sugar and milk in a 3- quart heavy pot. Stir to mix well and place over moderate heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, and bring to a boil. Continue to boil over medium heat, without stirring, to the soft ball stage (235 degrees). Remove from the heat and stir in the marshmallow cream, peanut butter and vanilla. Mix well and spread in the oiled pan. Cool and cut into squares. Store airtight. 2 pounds.

Next up are the famed Aunt Holly's cookies. I have no idea who Aunt Holly is, but these came from Mark's side of the family and have become another tradition. These are daughter Lucia's favorites. I'll share a photo later, they're quite festive.

11 comments:

Christy said...

That sounds very similar to my hubby's granny's peanut butter fudge .. no marshmallow, but that's an interesting addition. I think I'll have to try it!

My mom and I always baked for Christmas, whole hosts of goodies I've been missing since I moved south; nanaimo bars, butter tarts, raisin pie... Mmm.

Unknown said...

We have some traditions but between my daughter coming home from college and my 6 year old son having his tonsils out tomorrow I am just glad we are all together!

Thanks for the fudge recipe!

debb said...

I love recipes and who can resist fudge! Thank you!

Mari said...

Que rico!!! Marcia eres espectacular!! no solo nos enseƱas a beading tambien a ser delicias en la cocina...Gracias!

Tia Dalma said...

My Grandmother was an amazing crafts woman...she had her entire basement filled with things she re purposed for her crafts...it looked like the stacks at a library with her rows and rows of shelves filled with supplies!

She passed away many years ago, but she had made hundreds of beautiful Christmas ornaments and every one in the family has a nice collection of them.

Many of them were made with Mercury Glass beads and Crystal beads for snowflake ornaments etc...and some were made with foil covered cardboard toilet paper rolls...and all of them are beautiful.

I actually started beading because I wanted to make ornaments like the ones my Granmother made! And my 8 year old niece inspired me to get started...so together we made a bunch of Snowflake ornamens for the family!

And now I make beaded ornaments every year for each member of the family...and I continue to teach my niece more advanced beading every year...

And my sister has taken on our Father's "Secret Fudge Recipe" and my brother has taken on our Mother's Famous Cheesecake Recipe.

So each of us has learned something from our parents and their parents and are now sharing it with the newer and younger members of the family to continue the traditions!

And with my daughter being grown up and having her own home, I am starting the tradition of giving her a small collection of special ornaments every year...some made by me, my mother and my grandmother...and some bought from other artists!

This is what I really love about this season...sharing these traditions with our family and our loved ones! And keeping these traditions going!

I know I talk/write alot...sorry to take up so much space in your comments section! But it's your inspiration that brings me here again and again! Merry Christmas!

Sandy said...

Homemade peanut butter-quite a treat.

Terry from Alaska said...

I think I"ll bring this fudge to share with co-workers.

Tycialk said...

We have a special manger that has been in the family for about 45 years. My parents started it when my brother & I were just little tots. We have added to it over the years & I am now the proud owner. It covers my entire piano top & it wouldn't be Christmas without it.

My parents & I also make candy together each year. Will be doing that this Saturday. Two of my favorites is my dads deep dark chocolate herseys fudge and the pralines my mom always makes. We make 10-12 kinds of candy for Christmas and I gain 10 pds the day we make it. Lol.

bwheather said...

Ah, what exactly is marshmallow cream? I've never heard of it, but I'm sure it'd also known as something else, I hope. The fudge sounds yummo, though. ;-)

Jo Ferguson said...

I also wanted to know what the marshmallow cream is please. Not something I have heard of here in Australia, but would love to try the recipe.

Marcia DeCoster said...

Marshmallow Creme, a jar of marshmallow, consistency of the inside of a marshmallow. Perhaps marshmallows would work, but I've never tried it.